Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Food Review: Wan Tan Mee @ Parkway, SS19

I binged on breakfast today since I was feeling famished. So I headed over to Parkway, a chinese coffee shop in SS19, Subang Jaya. A variety of stalls but I decided to go for the Wan Tan Mee, RM3.50 per serving.

And here it is with all the essentials: char siew pork with sufficient layer of fat (very important), wheat noodles covered with tasty black sauce and aromatic sesame oil, crispy green vegetables and spring onions for the crunchy tang.

Must not forget the accompanying wan tan: minced pork dumplings boiled in pork broth seasoned with white pepper.

So how was it? One word: SLURP!! This is one of the best meals this year. Everything came together and the serving was well worth the money: palate and tummy were both satisfied; something quite rare.

Let's go through it per ingredient.

A small serving of green vegetables but it was cooked well. Still green, crunchy and fresh-tasting. Good, as typically, the vegetables are limp from overboiling.

The char siew pork was a bit dry. But surprisingly flavoured well, could taste the char siew sauce in every bite. Nevertheless, the texture was rough. I would say it didn't have the ideal amount of fat. So, not the best char siew but still a generous amount of good pork.

Wan tan mee is judged by its noodles. I must admit it's a matter of preference but I personally like mine chewy, long and full (this soaks up the sauce). This stall's noodles is spot on. The noodles were picked up by the chopsticks with ease. A good mouthful with a good amount of sauce. Nice, chewy texture: you're not left with mush in your mouth. Again, a generous serving. Excellent.

How about the wan tan? The wan tan skin is silky smooth. You can slide it down your throat if you wanted to but I've a habit of chewing my food. The minced pork meat wasn't bad but nothing spectacular either. Of course, like most minced meat, expect to come across some gristly bits. The soup is acceptable, sufficient flavour and right amount of pepper. Four satisfying pork dumplings in a decent bowl of soup.

So there you (or I) have it. Money well spent on a simple yet satisfying dish. Only one bad point: I was thirsty after the meal. A sure sign of MSG, probably in the soup. It wasn't a lot or I would have had a throbbing headache (I'm quite sensitive to MSG). Guess we can't avoid MSG when eating out.

No comments: