Saturday, January 19, 2008

Food Review: Wai Sik Kai @ SS2

Gluttony Interrupted.

I was feeling a bit down on Saturday afternoon. Just thought I'd find some place to hang out but ended up in SS2. So I wandered over to Wai Sik Kai (Glutton Street) for a bite.

I started off with Leen Chee Kang (LCK) from stall 82. The uncle here is very friendly and also a bit effeminate. No matter, good service and good drink. Well worth the RM2?


(sorry guys, had a couple of more pics but I accidentally deleted them!)

Here it is: cold longan juice (that's ice btw), barley, lotus seeds, sea coconut, longan flesh. Hmmm, LCK is supposed to have 6 ingredients, so why only 4? For one thing, it's missing the quail egg. Maybe the last ingredient is in there but I can't identify it. Nevertheless, it was a good drink. Certainly perked me up. Will go back again but must clarify with uncle on missing ingredients.

Onward, I thought it time for some nyonya kuih. Only 3 stalls open. The one operated by a lone man didn't seem to have much variety. Plus, he was mumbling incoherently when I asked him to recommend something. The operator of another was folding paper 'gold' ingots that are burned as an offering to dead ancestors. Okay, better skip this one as well.

So I went to the one manned by an elderly couple. Be careful here, this couple can be a bit surly (I've noticed the kuih sellers here usually are - wonder why). Nevertheless, she seemed confident when I asked her recommendation.

First, lam fah go (literally - blue flower cake). It's made from glutinous rice and served with kaya (that's the yellow jam). The blue colour is a natural pigment of the 'bunga telang' flower. I think it's a type of orchid. I asked for extra kaya but still not enough for the 2 slices of rice cake. I must say the kaya was disappointing. It lacked the necessary coconut and pandan aroma. At least it wasn't sickly sweet. The rice cake had a sharp taste of salt. The secret behind this kuih is for the saltiness of the rice cake to enhance the sweetness and flavour of the kaya. That didn't happen here. So, RM 1.20 for a 'not-great-but-not-bad' experience.

Next, I had a go at her so-claimed fresh angku. Angku (literally - red cake) is made from rice flour with mung bean paste as filling. Nothing great here but not a disappointment either. It had a nice chewy texture and the filling had a good sweet-salty balance. Must also note that it isn't as oily as angkus usually are. Cost me RM 0.60.


Finally, we have a little innovation here: angku with peanut filling. Definitely had to try and this was amazing! They didn't skimp on the filling and on the first bite, the peanut flavour flooded the mouth. The filling has been well cooked giving it a creamy, soft and a little gritty texture. Again, it wasn't too sweet and had a nice hint of salt to bring out the peanut flavour. I do believe they used Chinese peanuts. Fantastic experience for only RM0.60. Must buy again!

With desserts out of the way, I proceeded to explore my options for the main course. Walked up and down a couple of times and finally decided on claypot loh she fun. Special order: add pork mince, char siew and salted fish. SLURP!!
Takes a while so I took a seat nearby anxiously anticipating my delectable dinner. And this, my dear friends, is where this episode ends. For, at this most impromptu moment, nature called, BIG time!! Canceled the order, ran back to the car and drove all the way back to Subang to answer the call. It wasn't a pleasant drive so I shall spare you the details. Thankfully, it wasn't diarrhea, just unexpected movement.

It's been quite an adventure. Definitely, got my spirits up. And fear not, for I shall return to finish what I began.

No comments: